Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Getting By With A Little Help From Our Family & Friends

Father's Day 2014
The out pouring of prayers, support, well wishes, and positive thoughts since Brent's diagnosis has been very touching over the past few weeks - and honestly, very much needed.  Today, one of my coworkers brought me a prayer shawl that some women from her church had made for my wife, and let me know that her church was praying for my family and for Brent.  That really meant a lot, and brought tears to my wife's eyes when I gave it to her.

Prayer Shawl from Dianna


Over the past few weeks, I've been asked a lot "how are you doing?" or "how are you and your wife doing?", and that has become such a difficult question to answer lately.  Brent's diagnosis has been heavy information to process through, and when and how it hits you varies from moment to moment, and day to day.  But I do know this, it would be a lot more difficult to handle if it weren't for the love and support of family and friends.

My wife recently posted about some support groups and congenital heart defect (CHD) communities we are joining and beginning to interact with.  Congenital heart defects occur in 1% of babies born, but we are learning that the community of families and supporters is engaged, well informed, and very helpful.  I know that we will be meeting some of our closest friends as a result of Brent's diagnosis and treatment.

Some of our family and friends have asked through Facebook or asked me directly how they can help out with Brent's medical bills.  I want to first say that I don't want anyone to ever feel obligated to donate financially.  At times, I know some of my family members will be coordinating fundraisers for Brent which I will share through Facebook and on this site.  I've also added a "Donate" button on this site for anyone who wishes to help in that way.  We have insurance, but in addition to our deductibles and coinsurance, there will be a number of expenses that insurance does not cover.  We meet with the hospital in July to find out more.  The fundraisers will cover some of those costs.  Bottom line - only give if you want to.  But please, please, please continue to pray for Brent!

Finally, I leave you with this song.  It's one of my favorites, and basically it's been the answer lately to the question "How are you doing?", at least for me...  I'm getting by with a little help from my friends!

David


1 comment:

  1. David what your family is going through is so very hard, you seem to be such a rock and I know your relying on your faith also, my heart and prayers are that God will heal and mend this. Just remember your family are lifted up!! Tonya

    ReplyDelete