Monday, July 7, 2014

All Of Me

People tell me all the time "Stay off the internet, it's only going to scare you."  A lot of times they are right.  But, many times it's also a great source of information, support, and comfort.  Tonight was one of those nights.

Tonight I stumbled across the story of Matt Hammitt, lead singer of the Christian group Sanctus Real.  Matt and his wife Sarah gave birth to a baby boy in 2010 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome - a condition very similar to Brent's.  Both Brent and Bowen only have half a heart, but Brent has he left half whereas Bowen has the right half.  The open heart surgeries used to treat their conditions are virtually identical.  You can read more about The Hammitt family journey at their blog here.

Being the gifted singer that he is, Matt wrote a song dedicated to his son for one of his albums, and I just heard it tonight for the first time.  It's perfectly wraps up all of the fear and uncertainty that comes with a serious heart defect and their long-term prognosis being uncertain.  But in the song he talks about how he's going to give his son "All of Me", that he's worth all the tears, and worth all the fears. It brought tears to my wife and I.  Somebody who was in the exact same position we were not too long ago, captured the emotions so beautifully.  I'm so thankful he did.  It's how I want to approach this journey with Brent for as long as we're on it - by spending each day giving him all of me.

David





No comments:

Post a Comment